Saturday, November 24, 2007

Hello, Kitty!


I first saw this cute-beyond-cuteness sewing machine at CraftORama in Austin. Since then, I've been semi-obsessed with finding one for my granddaughter so I could teach her to sew. Well, as it turns out, on the Target.com website you can do a search to see if something is available locally. And, low and behold, it was listed "in stock" at our local Target store. And it took me about a minute to hustle off to Target to get one.
I set it up across the table from my machine.
Our first "sewing club" meeting was pure joy and she was so excited! We learned to fill bobbins, thread the machine, cut out felt pieces and try out all the stitches. (basically, straight and zig zag stitches) I felt such a strong sense of this being a life changing moment for her. I kept imagining her years from now saying to her own granddaughter (or son), "my dear old grandmother, whom I loved so very much, taught me to sew when I was seven."
Her first project was a "hot pad" made from three layers of felt. She stitched back and forth across the square, using various colors of thread and trying all the stitches. Then we used pinking shears to even off the edges. And she proudly took it to her other Grandma as a gift.
I look forward to many, many happy days of sewing with her. And Christmas is coming, it will so much fun to make gifts.

1 comment:

Diane said...

How nice that both Grams benefit from her work; you from the experience of teaching her a new skill creating a memory and the other gram who gets a hotpad that will be too cute to use forever.