Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Free money for yarn


We spent a couple of nights in Laughlin, Nevada in late March for a conference that Big Knitter had to go to. I gotta tell you Laughlin's not my fave place in the world to visit. I think you hafta love to gamble to enjoy that place.

(However, I'm sure the good citizens of Laughlin and their neighbors across the river in Bullhead City are some really nice people. And there might even be some fellow knitters there, which we all know are usually really, really nice people.)

But, that weekend I just wasn't feelin' the slot machine karma. And I tried real hard to pass the time on those slots while Big Knitter was conferring away all day. I guess I just reached a point at which 1.) I didn't want to lose any more money and b.) I didn't want to suck down any more second hand smoke and I just cashed out, put the voucher in my bag and went up to the room for a nap.

Unfortunately (trying to make a long story short here), I forgot I had that voucher and we booked it out of town as fast as we could when the last session ended.

So here I am, with a $40 voucher for the Aquarius resort (formerly the Flamingo) and no way to cash it in and no plans to revisit Laughlin by the time it expires on May 24th, 2007.

So, that's where those really, really nice knitters came into my mind. I thought somebody should be spendin' this cash if they can. Heck, they could just walk into the Aquarius and slip that voucher into the cash machine, walk out and go spend the $40 on yarn somewhere.

So here's my proposition: if anyone lives in Laughlin, near Laughlin or is visiting Laughlin in the next few weeks and would like to have this $40 voucher, just post a comment below.
Assuming I get more than one response, I will pick the lucky recipient at the end of this weekend or early next week using a random number generator.

If I get only one response, then it's your lucky day and maybe, just maybe, you should throw that voucher into the first slot machine you come to and give it a spin.

Short story done. Except this: I'll throw in the first class stamp to get it to you too.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

My Dad lives in Vegas (if you look up Boy Scout in the dictionary you would find a picture of him in his Eagle Scout uniform). I looked it up and it is too far for him to drive to redeem the voucher. Can it be redeemed at the Flamingo in Vegas? He would redeem it and send me the money for nothing, but I would have to knit him some socks for his trouble :-)

Anonymous said...

It's too bad that I will be passing through in JULY.

Tracy Batchelder said...

Just found your blog through the Knitting Blogs Web Ring. I really enjoyed browsing through your posts. I doubt my husband will ever take up knitting, though he might try spinning. I think his dream is that one day I'll love to fish as much as he does. For now, I'll just bring my knitting along and let him catch supper.
--Tracy

Clarisse said...

Hi, I live close by and my husband and I frequent Laughlin for date nights and evenings out. If we were lucky enough (tee-hee-hee) to win your voucher, I can promise you that it would be spent at my local yarn shop, The Spinster, here in Kingman, AZ. She has some of those new cotton blend sock yarns that I'm just dying to stick my needles into.

I haven't had a chance to look through your blog yet, I'm sure I will have a wonderful time. If you get a chance, my blog is at http://desertknit.blogspot.com I'd love you to come check it out :)

Clarisse said...

Well, I guess I should have left my email in case you want to get in touch :) desertknits@yahoo.com

Clarisse >^..^<

Mostly Bears said...

Hello all! Thanks for looking and for leaving me some nice comments! Well, the time has come for me to get this cash voucher ready to put in tomorrow's mail. Since unfortunately it appears the Aquarius hotel is only located in Laughlin (sorry Sarah- and yes, you were right, it's too far to drive from Vegas and too dangerous...way too much traffic!), the only really qualified respondent was Clarisse, who apparently lives close enough to Laughlin to have a date night there! So, Clarisse, I will email you to obtain a mailing address and I'll get this into the mail tomorrow. Enjoy & happy knitting!