Saturday, June 2, 2007

I really don't like swatching anyway!

A little disappointed with my gauge swatches. For the Classic Elite Provence, I should be getting 6 ½ stitches/inch IN CABLE PATTERN. I got 5 in stockinette, but I don’t really know how to do a gauge swatch in cable. I will turn to the Yahoo knitter’s group to see if anyone knows how to do it.

The swatch for the Blue Sky handspun cotton is also problematic. I got 5 ½ st. using a size 1 needle. Then I tried a bit of I-cord to see what that would feel like. It’s so stiff and unstretchy, I just think I’d never ever get the sock up over my ankle if I did the pattern I wanted.

Tonight we are camping somewhere in the woods about 130 miles or so north of Toronto. Today, we visited Niagara Falls for the first time ever. (totally worth the trip.) See my bear store blog for some photos, etc.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

Hi I just came across your blog for the first time. The sweater your are planning for the Classic Elite Provence looks really nice. When the directions tell you to knit the swatch in cable, they usually mean to knit the swatch in the cable stitch used in the pattern.

I also knit one of the austrian socks and had the same problem with i-cord portion of the sock. Those twist stitch patterns tend to work better in wool yarns as well. Cotton can be just too inelastic.

Good Luck!
Jennifer

Mostly Bears said...

Hi Jennifer, Thanks for visiting. This baby sweater is a quest now...I do love the pattern and hope to FINISH it! (I have a bad habit of getting bored with stuff once I figure out what I'm doing)
I'm still waffling over my next sock. I want to do on from Favorite Socks, but I just don't know which one yet. I got a little deflated when the cotton didn't work out. I probably knew subconsiously that it wasn't going to work & a little mad at myself for hoping. Thanks again! Trish