Friday, July 13, 2007

Gratefulness

I came across this article about near death experience and heart attacks:

"Back From the Dead. Doctors are reinventing how they treat sudden cardiac arrest, which is fatal 95 percent of the time. A report from the border between life and death." (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19751440/site/newsweek/)

Which flooded me with the memories of the Big knitter's Sudden Cardiac Arrest five years ago. He is one very, very lucky person to be alive. If you don't believe in a higher power...you just might have to consider it had you witnessed this event. As for me, I believe.

Suffice it to say, so many factors had to be exactly in place to ensure his survival that night, one must be compelled to ponder. After reading the article, I decided to make a list:

1) I had to be home. I had seriously considered running to the post office that evening to mail some bills and for some reason didn't.
2) I had to walk down the hall for no apparent reason and find him on the bed just before he died. Really there was no reason for me to go to the bedroom at that moment.
3) I had to know CPR.
4) Our daughter had to be home to run out into the street and flag down the paramedics. She also had to make the 2nd call to 911 after he stopped breathing.
5) EMS was not out on another call and arrived within 5 min. and immediately defibrillated. ***** MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR***** (actually two ambulances showed up at the same time, along with a fire truck)
6) Husband's heart had to respond to defibrillation. *******2nd MOST IMPORTANT******
7) Heart hospital was less than 5 minutes from home.
8) Husband's cardiologist was on call, early angioplasty took place within 1 hr.

He came home just under 48 hours later with a new stent.

We immediately purchased our own AED, which we still take with us when we travel.

He doesn't remember a thing after the initial chest pain. I suffered nightmares for several years afterwards. I believe I had PTSD.

But...

I also believe we were being watched over, somehow, that night.

"Call it Nature, Fate, Fortune; all these are names of the one and selfsame God." - Seneca

On a more knitty note, it occurred to me that I've been neglecting the Big Knitter's projects here on this blog. So I secreted a few of his WIP's away to the living room and took these pics:

And here's a little owl who has been seen frequently of late, in the rafters on the back porch:

He was hiding out today from our lovely afternoon monsoon rain. It cooled off a whole, ah, say 10 degrees. (105 to 95, whew!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am certain we survive death. I thank you for the very interesting article.